Wednesday 5 November 2014

The Maze Runner Trilogy

*CONTAINS SPOILERS*
I bought a copy of The Maze Runner to take on holiday with me in summer but I didn't get round to reading it until September. I never really planned on reading The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure until later on, maybe even next year, but for my birthday in October, I was given the set of three books.

Out of the three stories in the series, I'd say The Maze Runner is my favourite, followed by The Scorch Trials with The Death Cure last. When I reviewed these on Good Reads, I gave both the first and second book 4* and the final book 3*.

None of the books received 5* as they all seemed to be missing something although I really enjoyed reading them and I thought that James Dashner had a good way of ending the majority of chapters with a cliff hanger.

The first book was very interesting and I felt the urge to continue reading to find out what happens as it's fast moving and something's always happening. However, it just seemed to lack something meaning it missed out on the 5*.

The same goes for The Scorch Trials. Part of me almost prefers this to The Maze Runner as there is so much more in it and I loved "seeing" the bond between Thomas, Minho and Newt grow as they face tough situations together.

The Death Cure however was a huge disappointment. It easily could have achieved the 4* like the others but the ending meant it dropped one star. After everything the Gladers had been through, the ending seemed so dull and all the trials were completely worthless. By the end of The Scorch Trials I definitely disliked Teresa a lot but her death lacked any kind of emotion and was so rushed it wasn't even worth writing.

It was nice to have some dystopian fiction to read again as the last thing I read of this genre was probably The Hunger Games trilogy.

I really enjoyed this series and I would recommend it to anyone my age who was looking for something to read. It's said to be great for fans of The Hunger Games and I partly agree with this. The hardcore Hunger Games fans or people who read dystopian a lot will be disappointed with the comparison and probably not enjoy the books as much as they hope to but people who enjoyed the Hunger Games but aren't big on reading will probably be pleasantly surprised by this trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment